Saturday 30 March 2013

Comoros and Mayotte: lourobbo's kitchen

As I had never even heard of the islands of Comoros and Mayotte, it was no great surprise that I couldn't find any restaurants purporting to serve cuisine from there. So, once more into the kitchen, dear friends...

It does sound like a beautiful place, white sandy beaches in the warm Indian Ocean, just off the coast of Madagascar. The cooking influences being French, African and Indian. I chose Poulet au coco, a chicken curry with coconut base. Followed by a dessert of banana fritters.

 
 
The chicken dish was very easy to prepare, the usual mix of chicken, onion, garlic, curry powder and coconut milk. With thyme, parsley and spring onions in for flavour. I let it cook a bit longer than the recipe suggested, for over an hour, just to let the flavours soak into the meat. Served over basmati rice with a spring of parsley. The dish had quite a kick and was a hit with the guests!
 
 
 



 
Gary and Gaby were over for dinner so I wanted to ensure we had a dessert on the menu as well. It was a night of firsts, I'd never attempted to deep fry anything in my kitchen, having an irrational fear of burning the house down. But the only vaguely Mayotten dish I could find was for banana fritters.
 

 
 
I hate bananas with a passion, so thought that my fellow diners would be polishing them off. But, thought I really ought to try them. And I liked! Can't say that they retain the health benefits when they have been smothered in sugar and flour and immersed in hot fat, but definitely the first time I can say I actually enjoyed eating banana.
 
All round, a good filling meal. With excellent company!


No comments:

Post a Comment